Cindy and John McCall waited 12 years for their third child to be born. They don't intend to wait four years to celebrate Lauren Marie McCall's birthday.
Lauren is Greer Memorial Hospital's Leap Year baby. She was born Wednesday at 9:32 a.m. weighing 6-pounds, 13 ounces and measuring 22 inches. Lauren's middle name is taken from her great-grandmother, Marie Brooks, now living in Greenville.
John works with Benore Logistics Systems in Greer.
"We are so happy," Cindy said. "We have wanted a third child for twelve years. We were so excited to learn it was going to be a girl."
Lauren said she only needed 16 minutes to deliver Lauren.
Brothers Devin, 15, and Matthew, 12, have already brought their friends over to introduce them to their sister. "The boys love her so much," Cindy said.
Lauren won't be wearing any hand-me-downs from her brothers. "We sold those clothes a long time ago," Cindy said. "We won't be needing clothes for Lauren until she's three. Our families and friends have bought so much for her."
There is one tiny problem Lauren has created. Cindy's email address referred to the four members of the family for the past 12 years. "We've had that email address for so long. That's one of the first things we're going to have to do," Cindy said.
Some things Lauren will want to know:
• Leaplings: What people are called when born on Leap Day.
• Who am I: good-natured, friendly and optimistic
• Happy birthday: Typically celebrated Feb. 28 or March 1
• 1 in 1,461: chances of being born on Leap Day
• 4 million + Lauren: number of people born on Feb. 29
• 2/29: is an invalid birth date when entered into a majority of websites