A few tips to help you and your family improve your sleep habits.
1. Set aside time to wind-down and relax before actually crawling into bed. A hot shower or bath, a cup of (caffeine free) tea, or even watching an episode of your favorite TV show can help calm your mind and prepare you for sleep.
2. Simply put, clear out distractions in your bedroom. This includes television, lights, and even your cell phone. By not having these things within reach, you can more easily relax.
3. An empty stomach can be just as distracting as a completely full stomach when trying to catch some Zs. Make good food choices before going to bed. Avoid sugar, caffeine and large meals, and instead, try a bowl of granola or whole grain cereal or some crackers with cheese.
4. A consistent bedtime and wake time encourages your body and mind to get into a rhythm. By sticking to a schedule, even on the weekends, you will have put yourself in the position for consistent sleep patterns that will help keep you feeling rested all day.
5. Make it a point to download everything that is on your mind before you go to bed. This can include talking through a situation weighing on you or making a list of things to do the following day. Doing this will help you avoid running through it all while you are trying to sleep so you can rejuvenate and relax.